Please join us on a field trip. There is no experience required. You should bring binoculars for each participant and dress for the weather. Trips function rain or shine.
- Unless otherwise noted, there is no charge for participation. Some trips have participation limits with prior registration required and are identified as such. At times, members may receive priority due to participation limitations. But you do not have to be a member of Illinois Audubon Society or the Lake Cook Chapter to participate in most of our events. Good deal, huh? If you like our field trip programming, here are ways to support our organization.
- Young people who can participate without supervision are welcome. For field trips and programs geared for budding young birders and naturalists we recommend investigating the Illinois Young Birders
- Learn about membership in the Lake Cook Chapter of the Illinois Audubon Society here.
- If you wish to be notified about upcoming field trips and programs please register to receive email updates. Field trip details listed on this website are subject to change.
- Please! Leave your pets at home.
Jan 20 @ 10:00 am
Registration Required. The Puerto Rican Parrot is one of the world’s most endangered birds. The population has rebounded from just 13 in 1975 to over 600 today, thanks to a multi-agency effort that has included[...]
Feb 16 all-day
18th annual Illinois Ornithological Society event. Pre-registration required. Watch the Lake Cook Audubon email or visit www.illinoisbirds.org for details. Attendance is limited to first 150 registrants. Members of Illinois Ornithological Society get advance opportunity to[...]
Mar 2 all-day
Waterfowl migration spectacle at Dixon Waterfowl Refuge, 2 hours south on the Illinois River. Details to be provided to attendees. Register (required) at firstname.lastname@example.org Read more...
Apr 28 @ 7:00 am
First wave of passerine arrivals gets us in the swing of spring migration. This is the first of two spring field trips to Montrose Point Bird Sanctuary, everyone’s favorite Chicago birding hotspot. Directions: From Lake[...]
May 4 all-day
Citizen science bird count. Not a leader-led field trip. Prior arrangements for participation are required. Contact Joel Greenberg for Lake County assignments(630-725-6660) or Alan Anderson for Cook County assignments (email@example.com or 847-390-7437). Read more...
May 11 @ 7:00 am
Spring migration is in full swing – warblers and more await! Directions: From Lake Shore Dr. take the Montrose Ave. exit. Continue east toward the lake. Turn right at the Bait Shop (Montrose Harbor Dr.)[...]
May 17 @ 5:00 pm – May 19 @ 1:00 pm
Birding by the Big Lake Spring Gathering 2019 May 17-19 hosted by Lake-Cook Chapter Lake/Cook Chapter is hosting the 2019 Illinois Audubon Society Spring Gathering, which will draw IAS members from around the state. The[...]
May 23 @ 7:00 am
NEW! Woodland trail loops around through multiple habitats that can be filled with songbirds, savanna birds and water birds. Directions: Preserve is on Wadsworth Rd., just east of US 41. Park at Canoe Launch entrance.[...]
Jun 6 – Jun 10 all-day
If you’ve never seen Atlantic Puffins, Black Guillemots, Razorbills, Common Eiders or boreal birds like Spruce and Ruffed Grouse, Boreal Chickadee and Black-backed Woodpecker, here’s your chance! Led by Red Hill Birding’s Josh Engel, we’ll[...]
Jun 15 @ 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Bird Illinois Beach State Park South, BYO picnic dinner, and go Whip-poor-willing after dark. Directions From US-41, turn east on Wadsworth Rd., drive 2 miles into the park, park in Nature Center lot. Leader: CiCi Birnberg[...]
Subscribe to filtered calendar